Homemade Whole Wheat Tortillas

For those that have been following my blog, you know that I've been trying to make whole-wheat tortillas for my family instead of buying the store kind. I've tried several recipes, but today I made one that was superb! I'm very excited about it because it's just what I'm looking for. There were just a few, basic ingredients. The dough was very elastic just like a bread dough and they rolled out beautiful. They cooked up perfect and tasted delicious. I guess the only test left is if they store well and I'll find out that this week. Meanwhile, here's the recipe - it actually originated from my sister-in-law's recipe in our family cookbook. I modified it a bit to make it whole-wheat. Here's what I came up with:

Whole-Wheat Tortillas
2 scant tsp. salt
1/3 C. oil
3 C. Whole-wheat flour

Place above ingredients into bosch mixer and mix with dough hook. Meanwhile heat up 2 C. water in microwave until very hot. Start adding water gradually into Bosch until starts to pull away from the sides (I didn't use the full 2 Cups). Let mix 6 minutes. Turn off mixer and let dough rest 5 min. Break off small round balls about 2 inches in diameter. Then roll the dough out into the shape of a tortilla. Place the tortilla into a flat skillet pan on medium heat. Rotate when air pockets start to form or until slightly brown around air pockets. You will know if you overcooked the tortilla because it will be stiff like a cracker. Make sure your tortillas are very bendable. Better to undercook than overcook.

0 comments:

Post a Comment