Healthy Eating Habits for 2009

I'm going to make a confession. Our family has two (well probably more than two but two that I'm going to confess) major dependencies on processed foods. The first is probably a big one with a lot of you also - cold cereal! We don't buy the sugary kind - just corn chex, cheerios, and multi-grain flakes. Some would argue that those are good for you, but while they are better than some options I still don't think they are the best option. I'd like to try to eliminate this dependency on processed cereals as much as possible in our family. Especially me and the kids. My husband is very consistent about eating oatmeal almost every morning. He just cooks quick oats in milk. Sometimes he'll put some fruit or cinnamon or something in it, but he doesn't put sugar or any other sweetener in - I don't know how he does that, but he does and he enjoys it.

The second dependency our family has is on tortillas. A few years ago I made my own tortillas, but I've fallen back into the habit of buying them, partly due to a busier schedule and partly due to not liking the kind I made.

So there you have it: our two less-healthy eating habits that I'd like to work on this year. I'd like to help my kids (and myself) learn to enjoy hot cereal for breakfast. And I'd like to find a tortilla recipe to make that is do-able with my schedule and healthy.

Have you thought about your eating habits lately? What would you like to improve for 2009?

0 comments:

Post a Comment