New Favorite Healthy Snacks

I'm a snacker. I love to snack between meals - especially after lunch. It gets to be a problem when you are trying to change your diet to cut down on sugar and chocolate and other junk food, because that's what always sounds good, right? So here's a list of some of my new favorite snacks that I've been trying to incorporate into the healthy new me (sorry that sounds a little cheesy..).

  • Nuts - almonds have been my standby - just raw ones. I love em. Soooo good and very good for you. But today I discovered a new fav - roasted cashews (no salt, just roasted). Y-U-M YUM!!! The store I bought my cashews at didn't have roasted without tons of salt so I bought them raw. If you've ever eaten a raw cashew you know that they are very BLAH! So I found out how to roast them and it's very easy. Turn your oven to 350 F. Spread nuts on cookie sheet evenly (not too deep). Bake for 5 mins and then take them out and turn them around. Bake 5 mins more and again turn them. Bake 5 mins more and then they should be done. They should be golden brown and delicious. Enjoy in a stir fry or as a healthy munchy.
  • Fresh fruit - always delicious. This time of year I love apples with peanut butter, oranges, bananas, and ripe pears. Note: they have to be ripe - not the way you buy them in the store. Buy them and then put them in a cool dry place for a week or two (depending on the variety) - check on them occasionally and turn them. They are so good when they are ripe, juicy and sweet - as good as a treat!
  • Dried Fruit - dehydrated apples, cranberries, raisins, apricots, and pineapple are my favorites.
  • Veggies - grape tomatoes, baby carrots, celery with peanut butter, snap peas, etc.
  • Cheese - there's nothing like it. Mmmh. I love thin slices or cubes of pepper jack, mozzarella, mild cheddar and colby jack.
  • Popcorn - not the store-bought microwaved kind. That's much too salty and buttery. Plus it's so expensive and not worth it. I think it's just as easy to make this kind in the microwave. And tastes SO much better (and much better for you!)
  • Crackers - Homemade crackers (again so much better for you!) I need to post some good recipes for these cause they are soooo good! And not too hard to make, if you know how to do them. I usually make them with 100% whole grains and not much salt, but they are so good.
  • Granola or Granola Bars - I need to find a good low or no sugar granola recipe so if you have one, please share. But I love granola. Update: My favorite Granola Recipe - low sugar and yummy!
  • Yogurt or Smoothies - see recipe in the previous post; sweetened with fresh or frozen fruit. Yum!

0 comments:

Post a Comment