No Period, Low BMI Can Equal Hypoganodotropic Hypogonadism


Question:

I'm a 27 year old woman. I'm not pregnant. I went off the pill 7 months ago, and have not had a period since, though I had light spotting in response to a progesterone challenge. I'm about to be evaluated for PCOS, but I have a hard time believing this is what I have.

I have always been thin, and in the past I was told this was why I did not menstruate when I tried to go off the pill. I have made the effort to gain a little weight and my BMI is about 19 now. I work out regularly, though not more than 50 minutes a day. I have no family history of PCOS, diabetes or insulin resistance.

In the past 7 months I have developed benign PVC's of my heart, and have had a mild increase in facial hair and hair around my navel (this is why they think I might have PCOS).

My question is, are there any other conditions that might cause my symptoms that I should be aware of when I go to have the blood tests? Should I be tested for premature ovarian failure and hyperprolactinemia as well?

Thank you so much!

Answer:

Thank you for your question.

Your history does not quite fit PCOS. The most likely diagnosis is hypoganodotropic hypogonadism. It is a long name for saying that your brain is probably not stimulating the ovary. It is likely due to a lack of adequate body fat. Not premature ovarian failure. Since you had a little response to the Provera challenge, that shows that you are making a little estrogen, but the increase in hair growth is consistent with an elevation of the male hormone testosterone. If the ovary is not stimulated to ovulate, it does not produce estrogen and the available hormone precursors go to make testosterone.

Body fat is important because it is the chemical basis for the production of all hormones. If the body fat is too low, because of excessive exercise or anorexia or bulimia, the brain shuts down the production of FSH and LH. This leads to a lack of stimulation of the ovary, hence the above result.

This diagnosis can be made with blood testing. You should be tested for FSH, LH, Prolactin, TSH, Estradiol and Testosterone. This would test all the possible sources of your lack of menstruation. They will probably find that your FSH and LH are very low. Your thyroid may also be out of sync because of the same problem. TSH is the preliminary test for thyroid function.

It would be best if you could get your BMI up above 20, and increase your body fat content.

I hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Edward J. Ramirez, M.D.
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program
http://www.montereybayivf.com/

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

0 comments:

Post a Comment