Fuel For the Race of Life

Like a performance engine that runs on high octane fuel, we can fuel our body with supercharged foods for peak health.   As I grow older I want to ensure that my quality of life is the best it can possibly be.  That means eliminating certain foods and eating habits and replacing them with nutritious whole foods and making it a lifestyle for everyday.



You can buy an extended warranty for a car.  But if you want to have an extended life free of malfunctions and defects, you can't buy an extended warranty for your body.  It's going to rust out if you don't care for it.  Preventative maintenance is critical to your durability, reliability and quality of life!  If you ignore this for years like I did, it's going to eventually catch up with you. 

This doesn't have to be complicated or expensive like outfitting an engine with a supercharger.  It only requires a little self discipline to break the old habits and form new ones that are going to benefit your body.  You don't need to get all crazy on dieting.  It's simple and it's easy!  But it will challenge you in the beginning as your body experiences cravings for things like salt, sugar and fats.  Your with drawl symptoms from addiction to junk food will take a little time to break free from, but your body will respond to the nutrition you're fueling up on and the cravings will diminish.  I've noticed that if I eat something now like a bag of Cheezies, my body immediately responds negatively to the junk!  My body now finds those unhealthy choices to be toxic and wants to rid itself of it. 

In the first few months I began my health journey, I researched and closely monitored my diet.  When I use the term "diet" I don't mean a diet that is restrictive by starving yourself to lose weight.  DIET is what you eat.  DIET is nutrition and the sum of food you consume.  DIET is the deliberate selection of food to control, not only your body weight, but your health based on the nutrients you take in.  There are many foods that aid our diet and many that are a hindrance.



First the foods I have forsaken and avoid. Here are my dirty dozen.
  1. Pop, soda, diet and regular
  2. Sweeteners, artificial and refined sugar
  3. White flour and other processed grains
  4. White potatoes and white rice
  5. Caffeine, especially energy drinks and coffee
  6. Fried foods, especially restaurant fast foods
  7. Dairy, especially cows milk, ice cream and most cheese
  8. Butter, margarine
  9. Sports drinks
  10. Pre-packaged meals
  11. Animal products, namely beef.
  12. Alcohol, particularly hard liquor and spirits.
Eating healthier is not as hard as it seems.  Focusing on some simple foods that are packed with nutrition is a common sense prescription for health and wellness.  Your heart and your body will thank you for it!  Here are the top ten nourishing whole foods I feed my body for nutrients that satisfy and are delicious! 
  1. Fruits (2-3 daily servings)
  2. Vegetables, fresh and organic where possible and affordable (2-3 daily servings)
  3. Leafy Greens (unlimited servings)
  4. Whole Grains (2-3 daily servings)
  5. Other Grains (eg. Amaranth, Quinoa, Millet)
  6. Seeds & Nuts (4-5 weekly servings)
  7. Lean Proteins ( from seafood, eggs & poultry, 1-2 daily servings)
  8. Legumes (4-5 weekly servings)
  9. Soy-based Proteins (2 weekly servings)
  10. Healthy Fats (1 daily serving=2 tablespoons oils)
These super foods when combined with at least 30 minutes of daily exercise are a recipe for also dropping unwanted inches and pounds to get your body back to a lean machine!  I guarantee that you will look and feel great and be in the best shape of your life!  I'm no longer taxed by unhealthy foods that robbed me of energy and sped up my aging.   I now have a 100% improved digestive system, my muscles have toned and developed and I have a higher level of mental alertness.  In short, life has taken a 180 degree turn and I feel like I'm regaining my youth at the age of 48!

If you want the straight dope on fueling your body with nutritious food and what to avoid, I'm here to help and it won't cost you a penny for the free advice based on my own experience and what has worked for me.  I hope you'll follow my blog and provide me with some feedback on my posts.  I'll be catering good choices that include both dietary and lifestyle changes.  So if you could use a boost to your engine, buckle up for the ride of your life and let's get started!

0 comments:

Post a Comment