Favorite Children's Book: A House is a House for Me

The children's book I've chosen to talk about in this post is "A House is a House for Me" by Mary Ann Hoberman.

We checked this book out at our local library and it was so much fun to read. I want to share the first couple of lines so you get an idea of the charm of this book.

"A hill is a house for an ant, an ant.
A hive is a house for a bee.
A house is a house for a mole or a mouse
And a house is a house for me!"

As you can tell the story is told is a wonderful rhyming pattern throughout the entire book. It's almost musical as you read it to your child. The book explores the houses of many types of animals, vehicles, people, food, and other things. It always brings back the phrase "And a house is a house for me!" Soon my little four-year-old was repeating it with me, even though we had never read the book before. This made for such a fun, interactive reading experience.

The illustrations are fanciful and the colors are bright and cheerful. I love how the children are exploring different houses in the pictures -  from a tree house, to a cardboard box playhouse, from a beach umbrella, to a sheet over a table. At the end of the book, the author ties the concept all together with these words:
"Each creature that's known has a house of its own
and the earth is a house for us all"

What a great message to end on - we all live on this earth together and everything has it's place. I think there's a lot of security that comes to a child knowing that he has a place where he is loved and safe and secure. This book helps send that message as you read it and I hope you enjoy it as much as we did. Best to you all!

0 comments:

Post a Comment